Rebates & incentives
Here's a list of rebate and incentive schemes to help you financially while you help the environment. It includes information on rebates for water tanks and other water saving products.
- Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs)Applicable to the installation of certain solar hot water systems in certain circumstances. Many states and territories provide supplementary schemes to cover circumstances exempt under this scheme.
- Solar hot water rebate schemeThe Renewable Energy Bonus Scheme from the Federal Government is now closed.
- Federal grants & funding for waterIncludes grants for sustainable rural water use, major stormwater & resuse works and grants for surf-lifesaving clubs to save water.
- Living GreenerUse the rebates and assistance search tool to find a variety of state and federal rebates available in your region
State & Territory Programs
- Solar hot water rebate programSustainability Victoria offers rebates in circumstances where Renewable Energy Certificates (REC) may not be available
- Living Victoria Water Rebate SchemeOffered through the State Government's Office of Water. Rebates apply for water tanks, showerheads, garden products, greywater systems, dual flush toilets and more.
- Toilet Replacement Program - Melbourne metropolitan areaCustomers of Yarra Valley, South East Water, and City West Water can replace their old single flush toilet with a 4 star dual flush toilet, including installation for as little as $299.
New South Wales
- NSW Rainwater Tank RebateThe NSW goverment offered a rebate to help households who installed a rainwater tank before 30 June 2011. Applications have now closed but there is a program to help lower income households to reduce their energy use.
- Think Water, ACT Water incentive and rebate programsThe ACT Government is offering a range of incentive and rebate programs including WaterSmart Homes and GardenSmart services, as well as rainwater tank rebates and a toilet retrofit program.
The Queensland Government's Home and Garden WaterWise and ClimateSmart rebates have ended. Other rebates may be available through local councils.
- Rainwater Tank RebatesThe South Australian Government has a stand alone rainwater tank rebate scheme. Rebates of up to $200 are being offered on tanks over 1,000 litres.
- Solar Hot Water Rebate SchemeProvided by the Energy Division of South Australia's Department for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure
- H2O AssistWater Corporation is running a program to help residents of Perth and Mandurah access and install rainwater tanks, dual flush toilets, pool covers and irrigation systems.
- Rainwater rewardFor residents of Lower Great Southern, WA Water Corporation offers a series of rainwater tank rebates from $200 up to $1,000 depending if the tank is plumbed indoors.
- Hobart City Solar and Heat Pump Hot Water Rebate SchemeThe Hobart City Council is offering a rebate of up to $500 for installing a solar hot water system or heat pump. For information on rebates in other areas, contact your local council. This program will close on 30 June 2013.
- Solar Hot Water RebatesRebates are available from the Power and Water Corporation if you lodge your application within 6 months of installing a solar hot water service.
- Waterwise Central Australia Rebate SchemeRebates are available from the Northern Territory Government to residents of Alice Springs and Tennant Creek on a Small-Products, Large Products, Rainwater tanks and plumbing services.