Rebates & incentives
Here's a list of rebate and incentive schemes to help you financially while you help the environment. It includes information on rebates for water tanks and other water saving products.
- Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs)Applicable to the installation of certain solar hot water systems in certain circumstances. Many states and territories provide supplementary schemes to cover circumstances exempt under this scheme.
- Federal grants & funding for waterIncludes grants for sustainable rural water use, major stormwater & resuse works and grants for surf-lifesaving clubs to save water.
- Living GreenerUse the rebates and assistance search tool to find a variety of state and federal rebates available in your region
State & Territory Programs
- Solar hot water rebate programSustainability Victoria offers rebates in circumstances where Renewable Energy Certificates (REC) may not be available
- Living Victoria Water Rebate SchemeOffered through the State Government's Office of Water. Rebates apply for water tanks, showerheads, garden products, greywater systems, dual flush toilets and more.
- Toilet Replacement Program - Melbourne metropolitan areaCustomers of Yarra Valley, South East Water, and City West Water can replace their old single flush toilet with a 4 star dual flush toilet, including installation for as little as $299.
- Rainwater tank rebateReceive up to a $1500 rebate for installing a rainwater tank over 4000 litres connected to your toilet and laundry.
New South Wales
- NSW Rainwater Tank RebateThe NSW goverment offered a rebate to help households who installed a rainwater tank before 30 June 2011. Applications have now closed but there is a program to help lower income households to reduce their energy use.
- ACTSmart Rebates and AssistanceACTSmart has information on a range of energy and water efficient rebates available in the ACT for residential, business and community purposes.
The Queensland Government's Home and Garden WaterWise and ClimateSmart rebates have ended. Other rebates may be available through local councils.
- Rainwater Tank RebatesThe South Australian Government rainwater tank rebate finishes on 30 June 2014.
- H2O AssistWater Corporation is running a program to help residents of Perth and Mandurah access and install rainwater tanks, dual flush toilets, pool covers and irrigation systems.
- Hobart City Solar and Heat Pump Hot Water Rebate SchemeThe Hobart City Council offered a rebate of up to $500 for installing a solar hot water system or heat pump. This program closed on 30 June 2013. For information on rebates in other areas, contact your local council.
- Solar Hot Water RebatesRebates are available of up to $1,000 from the Power and Water Corporation to replace electric hot water systems in pre-existing homes.
- Waterwise Central Australia Rebate SchemeRebates are available from the Northern Territory Government to residents of Alice Springs and Tennant Creek on a Small-Products, Large Products, Rainwater tanks and plumbing services.
- Living Water Smart rebate schemeThe Living Water Smart rebate scheme provides incentives for installing water efficient appliances for homes and businesses in Dawin.